1 North American walnut tree having light-brown wood and edible nuts; source of a light-brown dye [syn: butternut tree, white walnut, Juglans cinerea]
2 oily egg-shaped nut of an American tree of the walnut family
Butternut has multiple meanings:
- Butternut squash, an edible winter squash.
- Butternut (tree), a type of walnut tree native to North America.
- Caryocar nuciferum, known as "butternut", a type of nut tree native to South America
- Butternut, a shade of the colour yellow associated with butternut squash
- Butternut, a regional brand of bread marketed by the Interstate Bakeries Corporation
- Butternuts, a nickname given to Confederate soldiers who wore butternut colored uniforms during the American Civil War; also a term referring to Northerners sympathetic to the South ("Copperheads").
- USS Butternut (YAG-60), a ship of the United States Navy.
- Butternut Coffee, a brand originally produced by the Paxton and Gallagher Wholesale Grocery, and later Swanson.
Butternut in geography: